Tuesday, September 06, 2005

 

Berger on the Arenas

Howard continues his wildly applauded look into the inside of the stadiums of hockey.

BY HOWARD BERGER

The Fan-590 Radio, Toronto

In Part 3 of my look at NHL arenas, past and present, I offer my personal ratings of the 15 current facilities in the Eastern Conference. Ratings of Western Conference arenas will be done in late November, as I will make my first visit to Glendale Arena in Phoenix for a Nov. 20th game between the Coyotes and Columbus Blue Jackets. Glendale is the only NHL building I have not yet seen, and I hear it’s quite spectacular. These ratings are based on several elements – many of which relate to my personal experience as a reporter. Also taken into account are factors that you, as fans, might entertain… ambiance, aesthetics, parking, and the quality of the immediate neighborhoods in which the arenas reside. Keep in mind, as always, that these are subjective opinions which may not coincide with your own viewpoints. Feel free to offer any rebuttal – or concurrence – to howard.berger@rci.rogers.com.

1. MADISON SQUARE GARDEN: Though it’s the second-oldest arena in the NHL – opening in February, 1968 – there is still nothing quite like a visit to the historic home of the New York Rangers. ....


For the rest of the story click here
  • GET YOUR BERGER FIX



  • << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?