Thursday, June 30, 2005

 

Wake Up!

HELLO HOCKEY WORLD!

I think it is time to wake up and realize that even though we can't pinpoint when, our sport is indeed coming back. My Tivo is ready...poor thing searches everyday for the keyword NHL, and just ends up taping Simpsons and Seinfeld episodes...

But that is all about to change! Yes indeed hockey is coming back, and I will be the first to admit that I have forgotten that excitement of an approaching season...All sources agree that the announcement will happen in the not too distant future, so instead of another post saying "they are getting closer." It is time to start talking rumored rule changes...or rumoured ones for our Canadian friends..

The official word hasn't come down yet, but i have talked to several people who are starting to hear things...not all of them agree completely, but I put together list of the probables based on conversations with 5 different people.

Now remember these are just the leading candidates at this point, Any of these can completely change, but here is how it appears to be shaping down...It will be fun to debate these as we imagine hockey's finest stepping through the doors with "welcome to the machine" playing, lights flashing, and fans rising...

Rumor #1 Say goodbye to the two line pass. Really. Very surprised about this. I was a long time supporter of this change, until I talked to some guys who played in Sweden who said is slowed the game down...Then again that was Sweden, and NHL hockey is more aggressive.

Rumor #2 When you ice the puck you can't change lines, but the offensive team can.

Rumor #3 You'll be able to play the puck off of the netting (why not right?)

Rumor #4 OT will consist of 4 on 4 for 5 minutes, 3 on 3 for 3 minutes, and then a shootout...

Rumor #5 Icings will be no touch (hate that) and offsides will be touch up..(like it)

Rumor #6 Teams will not be permitted to ice the puck when shorthanded (I think the shorthanded icing is an exciting play..others disagree, but I think this changes the pacing in a bad way)

Rumor #7 All players will throw gold coins into the stands following goals as their way of thanking the fans for coming back...(alright maybe silver ones)


so those are the rumors, but we will have to wait and see what the NHL actually does ..the NHL will announce the actual changes as part of their launch I am hearing. That will be a fun Press Conference for a change!

Finally I have to thank those who are joining my insider list...I can't send everyone thank you emails...and I sure can't figure out how to automate such a thing, but I want you to know how much it helps what I am doing here...you will not be forgotten in the New World of Eklund's Hockey

Ek



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?